[Volunteers] Undisclosed banned discussion topics (was: yum extender)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 10 23:05:55 PDT 2005

Quoting William R Ward (bill at wards.net):

> I will discuss the list policies with Paul (SVLUG President) and we
> will make an announcement to clarify matters.

An "announcement"?

To reiterate, yet again:  It would be a great deal more useful if you
would put a complete list of everything that is currently banned
from svlug@ _onto SVLUG's list policy Web page_:  At the moment, that
page seems misleading.  I have brought this matter to your and Paul's
attention before.

(I will be glad to perform any edits on your behalf that you specify,
if you wish, but I don't touch the text myself lest I inadvertantly set
policy.)

> In the meantime please move any further discussion of this topic to
> the svlug-volunteers list.

Until _this_ post, the discussion wasn't even faintly topical for
volunteers@ , a list that exists for coordinating volunteer activity --
which accordingly made your suggestion seem extremely peculiar, unless
perhaps you made it solely because this mailing list is:

o  an entirely backroom forum not visible to the membership or the
   public, and
o  not even open to SVLUG members generally, except upon having their
   join requests vetted personally by either you or Paul.  (Oddly,
   neither of you have ever seen fit to mention that restriction to the
   membership.)

> I have set the Reply-To accordingly on this message to facilitate that.

Ironically enough, that's not even how the Reply-To header works:  It
specifies an alternate address to be substituted for the _sender_
address in any replies.  (Please see the definition of that header in
RFC822.)

However, I have manually readdressed my reply in accordance with your
request.