[Volunteers] "Foo of the Month"

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 6 22:17:06 PDT 2005

on Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:57:49PM -0700, J. Paul Reed (preed at svlug.org) wrote:
> On 05 Jul 2005 at 22:40:35, Chris Verges arranged the bits on my disk to say:
>
> > Thanks for the advice!  Since I'll be doing this on relatively short
> > notice, I don't think I'll have enough time to incorporate all of your
> > suggestions into the presentation, but I will keep it in mind for next
> > time.  (I'm recycling a presentation I gave to the LUG at GT and at
> > Interz0ne 3.)
>
> Just a bit of context: this isn't (or... shouldn't be) a long, in depth
> presentation; it's meant to take 15 minutes, max... which, with Q&A, is
> just long enough to say what it is, what it does, a sentence or two about
> how it works, and how to set it up, and you're done.

Y'know, with Audacity, you can time-compress about 15 minutes' worth of
presentation into 3... ;-)

...not that I ever overload data into presentations or documents.

> That was the idea behind the "Foo of the Month" idea, i.e. random bits
> of information newbies and others may find interesting and/or useful,
> but nothing really indepth... just a "Hey, this is out here; it's
> cool; read the manpage" or "Here's a trick with this utility we all
> [think we] know how to use."

No problems.  I was mostly tossing my own selfish "I've played with this
and run into some issues which I'd love to see addressed at by someone,
even if I'm not there when when it happens".  Suggestions, freely given,
adapt or discard as appropriate.

Peace.

    Rick : My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
    Renault : Waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
    Rick : I was misinformed.
    - Casablanca