[Volunteers] "Foo of the Month"

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 5 23:25:29 PDT 2005

on Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:40:35PM -0700, Chris Verges (chverges at cisco.com) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> >ObAOL on thinking that's a good topic.
> >
> >I've been adding smartmontools to my systems, but am having sort of
> >mixed experiences.  Nothing _wrong_, per se, but:
> >

> Thanks for the advice!  Since I'll be doing this on relatively short
> notice, I don't think I'll have enough time to incorporate all of your
> suggestions into the presentation, but I will keep it in mind for next
> time.  (I'm recycling a presentation I gave to the LUG at GT and at
> Interz0ne 3.)

NP, just some personal perspectives.

Covering smartmontools, and the short/long tests is really the major
value.  You could always mention the other issues as "stuff I haven't
gotten to but you may want to investigate".  I've yet to see a treatment
of smartmontools that goes beyond the basics.

> Please feel free to raise issues during the Q&A after the
> mini-presentation if I don't cover something you feel is important!

I probably won't be there as I'm in the north bay and haven't made an
SVLUG meeting for, oh, years.  Try to show at PicNix though...

Peace.

    Free Software Primer -- concepts you need to understand
    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/FreeSoftwarePrimer