[Volunteers] "*** of the Month"

J. Paul Reed preed at svlug.org
Tue Jul 5 13:18:05 PDT 2005

On 05 Jul 2005 at 13:06:04, William R Ward arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> I'd like to suggest we not use the term "Foo of the month."  The term
> "foo" is derived from an acronym that uses foul language, is alien to the
> newbie, and is cliche to the experienced user.  Let's just call it "tool
> of the month" or something similar.

I'm going to ask for other opinions on this; I understand that it's derived
from a military term which is a... colorful acronym.

On the other hand, I really like the ambiguity "Foo of the month" allows
us, and the fact of the matter is that foo, bar, baz, etc. are all terms
that are used within the open source community quite frequently, and
without any reference to the original acronym.

In some sense, we've made it ours.

I also think it's cute; "'Tool' of the Month" is boring; how many LUGs have
done *that*?

Later,
Paul
--