[Volunteers] Mailing list link breakage

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 20 00:55:51 PDT 2005

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> Yep, I think that's what he meant.  Point to the root of lists.svlug.org
> and let Apache do whatever redirect magic it needs to take it to
> http://lists.svlug.org/some/cool/new/place/for/this/week.asp   ;^)

Excellent idea for any link that's intended to land at Mailman's general
listinfo page.

[Link on http://www.svlug.org/policies/job-policy.shtml to the "jobs"
lists's listinfo page:]

> This is a perfect example of where redirects and URL aliases can come in
> handy.
>
> e.g., make:   http://lists.svlug.org/jobs   go to The Right Place(tm).

OK, I'll buy that:  A level of indirection could come in handy, I guess.
If some root-account user is willing to create whatever Apache aliases
are required, I'll be glad to repoint Web pages to them.

(/etc/apache/httpd.conf is, per the usual,
"-rw-r--r--    1 root     root 31261 2005-06-18 15:02 httpd.conf" )

At the same time, we honestly shouldn't move things on the "lists" host
around to new URLs, unless there's some overwhelmingly important reason:
Doing so breaks links elsewhere.

Because we aren't likely to move things around on that host, having
additional levels of indirection to refer to places there probably won't
be all that useful -- at least, as far as I can see.

> What I do at LUGOD is have a main "Mailing Lists" page, and then have
> anchors inside the page that talk about each list, and link to the
> appropriate mailman page.  For example:

Approximate local analogue is http://www.svlug.org/maillists/ -- except
that it doesn't (yet) link to the listinfo page of each described
mailing list.

Bill Ward observed recently (quite rightly) that there are a bit too
many pages that detail what our mailing lists are all about .  There's
the foregoing page, the "list policy" page
(http://www.svlug.org/policies/list-policy.shtml), a separate "jobs
policy" page (http://www.svlug.org/policies/job-policy.shtml), and
Mailman's own CGI-generated general listinfo page
(http://lists.svlug.org/lists/listinfo/), not to mention an individual
CGI-generated listinfo page for each mailing list.

I made a pass at cleaning up that mess a bit without doing anything too
radical:  I updated http://www.svlug.org/maillists/ to reflect the
current set of mailing lists accurately, but (per my preference)
maintained my hands-off approach to the two *policy.shtml pages (lest I
accidentally set policy, myself).

> Indeed.  Lots more needs to be done, no doubt.  One day I might take a stab
> at going through the site and commenting on what >I< think needs to be
> fix0red.

Please do.

When I did my first major revamp, I mostly went for fixing the several
hundred misspellings and typos that had been bugging me for years -- and
updating some aging pages, e.g., fixing all the 404s and obsolete
entries on the "link farm" page.  But there's always more!