[svlug] Richard M. Stallman has resigned from FSF and from MIT CSAIL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 19 12:31:23 PDT 2019

Quoting Sarah Newman (newmans at sonic.net):

> I interviewed at the MIT media lab for graduate school in 2003 but was
> not accepted. In retrospect, maybe that was a good thing.

MIT was one of the colleges I was admitted to for my undergrad program,
but instead I elected to go to an Ivy League school (not a very rational
decision, but I was young and had no idea what I was doing) in its
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department (pronounced
'Eeks!'), eventually moving sideways to mathematics.

So, I knew MIT only from having looked around there as a high school
senior, and on a couple of subsequent visits.

The '70s and '80s were a pretty dreadful time to be a woman engineer
(or in any STEM concentration) in most colleges, by all accounts.
I'm cautiously happy to now live in a slightly better world in that
particular, at least.