[svlug] Richard M. Stallman has resigned from FSF and from MIT CSAIL

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Thu Sep 19 08:57:57 PDT 2019

On 9/18/19 11:54 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Michael Eager (eager at eagerm.com):
>
>> Everybody else in the Epstein-MIT scandal is using measured and
>> carefully crafted language to comment on the situation, specifically
>> to avoid further inflaming the situation and causing more damage.
>
> I appreciate people doing so.  Speaking for myself, even in posting the
> news summary [/me checks time stamp] very early on Tuesday after barely
> having heard the story and doing only about an hour of wide reading, I
> pretty much stuck to the bare factual details and, while correctly
> observing that much of the coverage was inaccurate, provided direct
> links to _primary documentation_, so readers could judge for themselves.
> I carefully avoided the highly contentious bad-parsing of Stallman's
> csail-related postings that IMO has been and is being a problem
> elsewhere.

I didn't really pay much attention to Stallman's outside of his writings before this happened. Having read through his history now, I feel very sorry
for all the women in the CS department at MIT.

I interviewed at the MIT media lab for graduate school in 2003 but was not accepted. In retrospect, maybe that was a good thing.

--Sarah