[svlug] wayland and escape sequences

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri May 31 09:04:42 PDT 2019

On Thu, 30 May 2019 15:31:52 -0700
Michael Eager <eager at eagerm.com> wrote:

> There seem to be a bunch of Wayland compatible compositors:
> https://www.slant.co/topics/11023/~wayland-compositors

According to the above referenced link, if I liked tiling window
managers (and a lot of people love them),  I'd be all set.
Unfortunately, I've tried Awesome and i3 and a few others, and I'm just
not productive on them.

When I read that Weston is increadably lightweight, I got excited.
Unfortunately, its con appears to be that it's nearly impossible to
move (and I assume resize) windows programmatically, making a lot of
stuff I sometimes do impossible, including the new hopman thumb drive
mounter from Devuan.

A lot of these things won't do Nvidia:: I'd really hate to go back to
the "buy hardware and pray it works" methodology of the turn of the
century. Hopefully they'll fix this before pushing it on the non-Redhat
world.

Arcan looks interesting. One of the cons is that configuration is via
Lua programs. I kind of like that.

Liri Shell looks good if I can have regular windows with regular
titlebars, and get rid of the panel.

A famous one, Mutter, is slow. I'm used to instantaneous reaction at my
keystroke, so that's out.

Lipstick looks interesting, but insufficient info in the referenced
link.

I've read about Grefsen elsewhere, and it looked interesting.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2019 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive