[svlug] wayland and escape sequences

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu May 30 16:13:44 PDT 2019

On 5/31/19 12:09 AM, Sarah Newman wrote:
> On 5/30/19 2:54 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, for about the last two decades (or has it been
>> even longer?), there have been projects that claimed they were going
>> to replace X and we'd all have to switch Real Soon Now. I'm sure
>> some day it will happen, but I don't get the impression Wayland is
>> going to manage it in the next year or two; I don't think it's time
>> to panic quite yet.
>
> Wayland is the default in RHEL 8 and it is easily available, if not the default, in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

> It's not time to panic, but it's probably time to start paying attention.

Up to my understanding there are very few WM that have a decent support
for wayland.

I don't know if there is any lightweight WM/DM. LXQt?

Gnome seems to have a reasonably stable support and KDE should come second.

I've installed KDE on my sid Debian box and all the wayland related
packages.
lightdm presents 2 choices of Plasma at startup and I suppose one of
them is KDE with wayland but it doesn't work.

I've a pretty old video board and maybe the drivers or its support on
wayland has been neglected.

I was planning to try with GNOME but I'm very unfamiliar with it and I
don't even know which packages I should install.

If you're using Debian, I'd be glad if you could report your experience.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net