[svlug] wayland and escape sequences

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu May 30 15:25:42 PDT 2019

On Thu, 30 May 2019 15:54:37 -0600
Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:

> Steve Litt writes:
> > Heck, I bet there are folks right on this mailing list who prefer
> > simpler/more reliable WMDEs (Window Manager/Desktop Environments)
> > that Gnome or KDE. Until Freedesktop proves they can change their
> > stripes, the question that drives me is this: "Do you want to boss
> > your computer, or do you want your computer to boss you?"
>
> Another Openbox user here, plus I use ssh -X for talking to
> headless Raspberry Pis. I have some sympathy for the "X is old and
> crufty and should be replaced" viewpoint, but replacing it with
> something that doesn't offer a choice of window managers and doesn't
> have a remote protocol doesn't sound like a win.
>
> On the other hand, for about the last two decades (or has it been
> even longer?), there have been projects that claimed they were going
> to replace X and we'd all have to switch Real Soon Now. I'm sure
> some day it will happen, but I don't get the impression Wayland is
> going to manage it in the next year or two; I don't think it's time
> to panic quite yet.
>
>         ...Akkana

That's good because I don't have time to rewrite dmenu now, and I have
a very strong hunch that if I don't rewrite it, nobody will.

I don't have the talent to rewrite Openbox, so if Wayland ever
displaces X, I'll just need to settle for the simplest Wayland
compositor available.

Remember DOS memory mapped video? I think we could do that for a 4Kx2K
pixel, 24 bit color with 24Mbyte of RAM. Add in two different
interrupts: One to switch out everything and one to read changes from
an incoming journal, and I think you've just replaced the video portion
of X. 24Mbyte isn't a lot anymore. Here's a $20 card that has 1GB RAM
onboard: https://preview.tinyurl.com/yxtqbrjp

I don't know if this is feasible, but if it is, it's simple and can be
done very quickly.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2019 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive