[svlug] wayland and escape sequences

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu May 30 14:54:37 PDT 2019

Steve Litt writes:
> Heck, I bet there are folks right on this mailing list who prefer
> simpler/more reliable WMDEs (Window Manager/Desktop Environments) that
> Gnome or KDE. Until Freedesktop proves they can change their stripes,
> the question that drives me is this: "Do you want to boss your
> computer, or do you want your computer to boss you?"

Another Openbox user here, plus I use ssh -X for talking to
headless Raspberry Pis. I have some sympathy for the "X is old and
crufty and should be replaced" viewpoint, but replacing it with
something that doesn't offer a choice of window managers and doesn't
have a remote protocol doesn't sound like a win.

On the other hand, for about the last two decades (or has it been
even longer?), there have been projects that claimed they were going
to replace X and we'd all have to switch Real Soon Now. I'm sure
some day it will happen, but I don't get the impression Wayland is
going to manage it in the next year or two; I don't think it's time
to panic quite yet.

        ...Akkana