[svlug] wayland and escape sequences

Michael Eager eager at eagerm.com
Thu May 30 09:31:02 PDT 2019

On 5/30/19 8:50 AM, mark wrote:
> FAQ here: https://wayland.freedesktop.org/faq.html
> The paragraph “What is Wrong with X?” might help explain the aim of the
> Wayland project.

I recall attending a talk about X, the new and improved windowing
system.  Sun was moving from NeWS, their PostScript-based windowing
system, to X11.  IIRC, at the time I was working on a brand new Sun
4/110: 20MHz(?) CPU, 32Mb RAM, 347Mb SCSI disk, big (16") Sony Trinitron
high-res (1280x1024?) monitor, 10Mbs coax Ethernet.

The basic problem with X is that it was designed 3+ decades ago.  It's
amazing that it still works today.  I'm writing this email over an "ssh
-X" connection, and it's very responsive.

Michael Eager    eager at eagerm.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306