[svlug] (forw) [DNG] Linux system can be brought down by sending SIGILL to Systemd

Michael Eager eager at eagerm.com
Sat May 25 10:06:57 PDT 2019

On 5/25/19 9:58 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Michael Eager (eager at eagerm.com):
>
>> It looks like the problem is in kill(2) not in init or systemd.  It is
>> kill(2) man page that says that it will only send "good" signals to proc
>> 1.  It isn't the init process that seems broken.
>
> Is that indeed the problem?  The reporter said he crosschecked the same
> thing _with a different init_, and it didn't happen.

Kill(2) sends an unaccepted signal to proc 1, in apparent contradiction
to its man page, and some versions of init die and some don't.  That
doesn't sound like a problem with the init process.

I don't have a horse in this race either, it was just odd that the first
conclusion was that systemd must be broken and we're going to quote the
man page for a different program to prove it.  As the OP said, we are
not going to file a bug report against systemd, because they reject bug
reports (perhaps because they are in different components).

Michael Eager    eager at eagerm.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306