[svlug] (forw) [DNG] Linux system can be brought down by sending SIGILL to Systemd

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat May 25 08:43:34 PDT 2019

Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc_news at merlins.org):

> and someone actually using systemd (i.e. not me) filed a bug, correct?
> :)

The person quoted said he wasn't going to, and said why.  (I should
stress that I'm merely the much-amused messenger, in this matter.
FWIW, I tend to think bugs should be filed no matter if you think the
maintainer's a wanker or whatever, but I wasn't asked.)

Someone wrote to me in mail claiming there _is too_ a SIGILL signal,
which struck me as missing the point that, if it exists, I doubt the man
page specifies 'causes the system to fall over, four out of five times'.

The 'you have no right to complain about the system going explody if you
were root at the time' argument I've just heard from the same guy, too.
I'm glad to assume it's being argued in good faith but, um, no, I really
don't think that's the way *ix is supposed to work.