[svlug] (fwd) Creating LUG at University

Ben Francis wirelessben at gmail.com
Thu May 23 08:17:54 PDT 2019

 As the ten year President of the Columbia Linux Users Group, I say:

1. Get some sponsors. Recruiters are happy to pay for pizza and drinks for
access to smart open source techies.
2. Market the group. Social media is a great way to do that.
3. Have a transition plan when you leave to take a new job.
4. Use Jitsi Meet <https://meet.jit.si/> to stream the meeting and record
to YouTube. Practice this or designate a person to be the audio/visual
woman.
5. You don't need a speaker every time. Gathering to share the latest and
greatest from the group is big fun.