[svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG Jan. 31st meeting: Michael Kerrisk on Understanding User Namespaces

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 31 19:51:05 PST 2018

I wrote:

> TOPIC: Understanding User Namespaces
> PRESENTED BY: Michael Kerrisk

For those who're either not able to make this excellent talk (ongoing at
this writing) or wanting to read more, our speaker wrote an equally
excellent 2013-2016 series of articles on this topic for LAW.net:

https://lwn.net/Articles/531114/
   Namespaces in operation, part 1: namespaces overview
https://lwn.net/Articles/531381/
   Namespaces in operation, part 2: the namespaces API
https://lwn.net/Articles/531419/
   Namespaces in operation, part 3: PID namespaces
https://lwn.net/Articles/532748/
   Namespaces in operation, part 4: more on PID namespaces
https://lwn.net/Articles/532593/
   Namespaces in operation, part 5: User namespaces
https://lwn.net/Articles/540087/
   Namespaces in operation, part 6: more on user namespaces
https://lwn.net/Articles/580893/
   Namespaces in operation, part 7: Network namespaces
https://lwn.net/Articles/689856/
   Mount namespaces and shared subtrees
https://lwn.net/Articles/690679/
   Mount namespaces, mount propagation, and unbindable mounts

Of related interest:

His two-part series on the dnotify and inotify Linux filesystem
notification mechanisms:
https://lwn.net/Articles/605313/

His article 'CAP_SYS_ADMIN: the new root':
https://lwn.net/Articles/486306/

And here are photographs of our speaker:
https://lwn.net/Articles/704485/
https://lwn.net/Articles/656367/
https://lwn.net/Articles/247789/   (heh!)

LWN.net's introduction of Michael, when he began being an LWN.net
featured writer in 2012:
https://lwn.net/Articles/504952/

Jake Edge's 2011 review of Michael's now-classic book _The Linux
Programming Interface_:  https://lwn.net/Articles/423417/