[svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG Jan. 31st meeting: Michael Kerrisk on Understanding User Namespaces

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 30 21:47:42 PST 2018

WHEN:

Wednesday, January 31st, 2018
7 - 8:30pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

TOPIC: Understanding User Namespaces

PRESENTED BY: Michael Kerrisk

TOPIC SUMMARY:

User namespaces are at the heart of many interesting technologies that
allow isolation and sandboxing of applications, for example, running
containers without root privileges, and sandboxes for Web browser
plug-ins. In this presentation, we'll take a closer look at user
namespaces, building up a basic understanding of what a user namespace
is, and going on to questions such as: what does being "superuser inside
a user namespace" allow you to do (and what does it not allow); what is
the relationship between user namespaces and other namespace types (PID,
UTS, network, etc.); and what are the security implications of user
namespaces? We'll also explore some simple shell commands that can be
used for creating and experimenting with user namespaces, in order to
better understand how they work. We'll conclude with a brief survey of
some use cases for user namespaces.

SVLUG is pleased to co-sponsor this presentation with Silicon Valley
Linux Technology Meetup
(https://www.meetup.com/Silicon-Valley-Linux-Technology/events/246101727/).

ABOUT THE PRESENTER:

Michael Kerrisk (http://man7.org/) is a trainer, engineer, and author of
The Linux Programming Interface (https://nostarch.com/tlpi), a widely
acclaimed book on Linux (and Unix) system programming. His primary
involvement with Linux is in testing, design review, and documentation
of kernel-user-space interfaces. After 13 years, 19k commits, 181
releases, and over 400 manual pages written or co-written, he is still
the maintainer of the Linux man-pages project. Michael is a New
Zealander, living in Munich, Germany.

LOCATION:

 Cavium cafeteria
 2315 N 1st St. (corner of Charcut Ave.)
 north San Jose

 http://www.svlug.org/directions/cavium.php    <--- maps here!

If you have any improvements to make, please let SVLUG's volunteers
know!  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING (if you want):

La Victoria Taqueria, 1415 N 4th St. near Gish Road, San Jose.
Go south 0.7 miles on N. 1st St. under US-101, then turn half-left
onto Matrix Blvd., in 0.3 miles a slight right onto N. 4th Street,
0.5 miles to La Victoria on your right just before Gish Road.

We look forward to seeing you there!