[svlug] [svlug-announce] SVLUG Jan. 17th meeting: Louis Imershein on Inline Dedupe & Compression for Linux Block Storage

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jan 16 07:20:47 PST 2018

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 04:16:30 -0800

> WHEN:
>
> Wednesday, January 17th, 2018
> 7 - 8:30pm
>

> MAIN PRESENTATION
>
> TOPIC: Inline Dedupe & Compression for Linux Block Storage
>
> PRESENTED BY: Louis Imershein,
> Principal Product Manager for Data Reduction Technologies, Red Hat
>

> TOPIC SUMMARY:
>

> Data deduplication and compression can increase the capacity of
> storage, allowing users make more efficient use of existing storage,
> and to make new fast storage more affordable.

[snip]

> The Virtual Data Optimizer
> (https://access.redhat.com/ecosystem/software/1484263) dm-vdo) is a
> new open source project from Red Hat that provides inline data
> reduction for primary storage to the Linux block-storage stack.

Eliminating redundancy (duplication) can obviously increase storage
density, but I've found many situations where the existance of some
redundancy helped recover lost information when some little thing went
bad.

I can't attend the meeting because it's kind of a long drive, but I
hope that any facilities to make the newly deduplicated data less
brittle will be discussed. For instance, I'm wondering if some kind of
parity scheme is added to error-correct, but at a lower disk space cost
than a simple filesystem?

Incidentally, in my Troubleshooting Courses I recommend a certain level
of redundant diagnostic tests in order to prevent one or two bad
assumptions from sending the whole search into a wild goose chase.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb