[svlug] (forw) [volunteers] svlug.org notice

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Mon Sep 25 14:38:51 PDT 2017

On 09/22/2017 11:26 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> I approved the posting below so people can see this scam in action,
> because I'm aware that many people fall for these things.
>
> It's addressed to 'president at svlug.org' because that's the Registrant
> (publicly advertised owner) of domain svlug.org -- and it's written to
> panic domain owners into misreading it as a 'final notice' that the
> domain will be cancelled.  Many domain owners are a bit vague about who
> is their registrar and when the domain's up for renewal, so they accept
> these fraudulent offers out of panic, thinking they're doing last-minute
> renewal.
>
> What is subject to 'cancellation' is SEO services, not domain renewal.
> (Thanks but no thanks.)

I have several domain registrations, so I get a number of these.  Some versions don't contain the
statement "we don't register domain names".  All have the same histrionic "times running out" tone.

Another related scam is an "official" notification from a supposed domain name registrar that
someone is attempting to register one of my domains with a different TLD, such as .cn.  If I provide
proof that I own the domain, and send them a fee, they will block the registration.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077