[svlug] arduino + drone fun

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Sep 23 22:11:28 PDT 2017

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:20:43 -0700

> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> > That's not what I told you. What I told you was that Debian, at any
> > time, could pull the rug out from under your apt-foo, at which time
> > your choices become very much more constrained.
>
> No, sir.  That was your _fallback_ position.

That's exactly right. At first I thought it was impossible, and then
when you demonstrated your apt-foo move, I said "that's nice, but they
can pull the rug out from you at any time.

> And you've been saying that since May 2016, when I published
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/openrc-conversion.html in part to
> test whether your earlier claim was correct, and find that it was
> simply not. In the earlier iteration of the claim, you and a bunch of
> other people had been going around since the days when Debian 8
> 'Jessie' was still the Testing branch, claiming that what I
> documented there wouldn't work. I guess y'all just never bothered to
> try.

That's exactly right. There's no way I'd get involved in a distribution
that could, and demonstrated a past tendency of big parts of the
community wanting to, pull the rug out.

> Meanwhile, returning to present-day matters:  No boom, Steve.

No boom, no biggy. Anyone waiting for the boom will need to do a lot of
very rushed distro comparisons and learn a lot of new stuff. Meanwhile,
I'm comfortably ensconced in a distro I find more to my style, in most
facets, than pre-systemd Debian. Took a lot of comparing and studying
and learning, but I'm there.

I predicted a different boom in 2001, switched operating systems as a
result, and you know what? The boom never came as bad as I predicted:

http://troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200104/200104.htm#_editors_desk

The boom was never that bad, according to people I meet who still use
the other OS. So what? I'm in a better OS now, and I KNOW the boom
won't happen, nor will the mini-booms that *did* happen.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr