[svlug] arduino + drone fun

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Sep 23 13:19:36 PDT 2017

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 13:27:15 -0700
alvin oga <mailinglists17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> almost any distro can be changed to any other booting preferences
> ( rc.d, systemctl, dracut, custom, lilo/grub/loadlin/xyz, etc )

This is truer in some situations than others. If you initially have
sysvinit, runit, s6, Epoch, OpenRC or Busybox init, it's pretty easy to
slam in one of the others, pretty much plug compatible.

But if you start out with systemd, its massive growth of entanglements
mean you're going to be modifying vast portions of your operating
system.

Have you ever grown sprouts in a moist towel in the closet? After you
were done eating the half cubic foot of wonderful sprouts, your towel
was so interwoven with sprout roots that you couldn't tell if somebody
wove a towel around the sprouts, or grew the sprouts through the towel.
In either case, if you're anything like me, you just threw the towel
away rather than trying to rehabiltate or launder it.

Systemd is to your operating system as sprouts are to your towel.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr