[svlug] arduino + drone fun

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Sep 23 13:11:30 PDT 2017

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 23:52:39 -0700

> [Again snipping the dumb 'cryptocurr' thing from the Subject header.]
>
> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):
>
> > Relative to Raspbian:
> > https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=91367
>
> Alvin, meet Steve.  Steve is acting out his characteristic monomania
> for your special benefit.

Thank you for noticing, Rick.

> Steve, how much do you want to bet that changing Raspbian to your
> choice of other packaged init system isn't a two-line apt-get
> operation, as it is with Jessie and Squeeze?

IIRC your special formula was 6 lines. But the number of lines is
immaterial, as I'll get to later in this post...

> I mean, you would have lost that bet, last time you and others told me
> with great confidence my test system wouldn't be able to do that.

That's not what I told you. What I told you was that Debian, at any
time, could pull the rug out from under your apt-foo, at which time
your choices become very much more constrained. When will that happen?
I don't know. Will it eventually happen? I can't say for sure, but
judging by past behavior of Redhat, FreeDesktop.Org, the guys who run
Debian, and the Systemd Cabal, I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

Meanwhile, deleted from the quoted context of my email was the fact
that both Void Linux and Devuan install on the Raspberry Pi, so Debian
and Raspbian just aren't necessities anymore. You can have your cake
and eat it too, without hoping for continuing largess in the form of
apt commands to switch from systemd to sysvinit.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr