[svlug] cryptocurr + arduino + drone fun

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Sep 21 20:29:47 PDT 2017

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:27:31 -0700

> > original task: build itty-bitty customO, key requirement ~25MB (
> > twenty-five ) bootable and online updatable image running in memory
> > for raspberryPi or your favorite hw with "set of hw and sw
> > features".. no problems yet..
>
> RPis are low-CPU[1], low-RAM[2] machines that are lovely for some
> things, but crypto is demanding exactly in the area they are
> deficient by design. (Well, I/O also sucks, but less relevantly to
> this.)  So, they would seem an odd choice for that.
>
> Your suggestion of making a 'custom Linux distro' for them seems even
> odder.  Why do Raspbian and the like not suffice?

Relative to Raspbian:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=91367

It appears that sans-systemd Void Linux installs on Raspberry Pi:

https://wiki.voidlinux.eu/Raspberry_Pi

According to the following, you can also install sans-systemd Devuan on
Raspberry Pi:

https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/stable-2nd-candidate-announce-050517

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr