[svlug] cryptocurr + arduino + drone fun

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Sep 21 16:25:24 PDT 2017

On Thu, 2017-09-21 at 14:27 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> RPis are low-CPU[1], low-RAM[2] machines that are lovely for some
> things, but
> crypto is demanding exactly in the area they are deficient by design.
> (Well, I/O also sucks, but less relevantly to this.)  So, they would
> seem an odd choice for that.

Well, the RPi offloads things like A/V codecs to dedicated hardware on
the die outside the CPU core, and Raspbian and the like run on the CPU
driving that hardware. The CPU can just as easily drive such dedicated
hardware if it's outside the RPi board altogether, e.g. crypto ASIC's.
Maybe Alvin already thought along such lines but erroneously selected
the Arduino platform to fill the ASIC role, rather than either
off-the-shelf ASIC's or an FPGA?