[svlug] cryptocurr + arduino + drone fun

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 21 14:27:31 PDT 2017

> original task: build itty-bitty customO, key requirement ~25MB (
> twenty-five ) bootable and online updatable image running in memory for
> raspberryPi or your favorite hw with "set of hw and sw features".. no
> problems yet..

RPis are low-CPU[1], low-RAM[2] machines that are lovely for some things, but
crypto is demanding exactly in the area they are deficient by design.
(Well, I/O also sucks, but less relevantly to this.)  So, they would
seem an odd choice for that.

Your suggestion of making a 'custom Linux distro' for them seems even
odder.  Why do Raspbian and the like not suffice?  Or just supplemental
package repos?  You don't say.  Maybe you're new to such matters, which
is of course entirely welcome and fine:  That's being one of today's
lucky ten thousand.  https://xkcd.com/1053/

> than came, "make it run on arduino" because the hw is open source, but
> i never having used arduino b4, duh .. and thus, mucho problemos el
> jafe, por favor, esta locos ..

IMO, you ought to do preparatory reading before planning a project.
Fortunately, this is a good place to consult about where to read up.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Processor
First-generation RPi CPU performance is similar to a 300 MHz Pentium II
from 1997–99.  Third-generation RPi is described as 10 times the
performance of a Raspberry Pi 1, dependent upon task threading and
instruction set use.

[2] The highest-spec model, the RPi 3, has 1GB DDR2 RAM.  In all models,
RAM cannot be expanded.  More at:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-3-specs-benchmarks/