[svlug] arduino + drone fun

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 19 15:44:21 PDT 2017

Dropping 'cryptocur' from the weird-ass Subject header.

> Well, there is also this:
> http://dmitry.gr/index.php?r=05.Projects&proj=07.%20Linux%20on%208bit

That's 16 MB 30-pin SIMM the author has somehow breadboard-interfaced to
the 8-bit AVR model ATmega1284p microcontroller.  This SIMM:
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/30PS16MB/

I was careful in my wording, because I could comfortably predict that
_somebody_ would want to play edge-case theatre.  ;->  I said that none
of the 32-bit ARMv7 Arduino variants (which are the couple of Arduino
Due models) have anywhere near adequate RAM to run even the smallest
embedded Linux.  And that remains true.

If someone wants to bodge together interfacing from a Arduino Due series
32-bit microcontroller to a 32MB RAM stick, then you can work yourself
to death making some bespoke-whittled-down, extremely peculiar Linux
kernel run on it.  Well, walk briskly.  You won't be able to then
do anything you couldn't do more easily with a standard Arduino, but
everyone needs a hobby.