[svlug] Mirroring of files to all nodes in a cluster

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Tue Nov 21 14:59:23 PST 2017

GlusterFS would work just fine.  It's just a matter of configuration.

When you create a volume use replicate only with a replication factor
set to your node count.

Use the FUSE mount client pointing to localhost. The FUSE client will
get the cluster configuration from the node you specify (localhost) and
will write to all replicas in real-time and read from the local replica
(replica with lowest latency).

Do remember that this is not asynchronous replication.  Writes are
real-time to all replicas and a write will not return until all
available bricks are written to.  Locks are also attained on all
replicas in real-time.

On 11/21/17 10:04, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> I'm looking for a Linux utility that will allow me to mirror/replicate a
> directory tree onto each and every node in a cluster, so that the data
> will reside on the local disk on each machine.  However, I'm not seeing
> anything that quite fits that bill.  So far I've found:
>
> * DRBD
> * Gluster FS
>
> However, each one doesn't seem to achieve what I want in some key way:
>
> * DRBD seems to only really work for 2-node master/slave replica type
> setups.  However I'm going to have a master and multiple slaves (at
> least 3 right now, and almost certainly more in the future).  It doesn't
> sound like DRBD supports that.
>
> * Gluster seems to be a distributed file system.  I.e., the data gets
> sharded and spread across the multiple nodes in the cluster.  However,
> this would mean that there is not a complete local copy on each node.
>
> Anyone have a recommendation for tool that will achieve what I want?
> Obviously homegrown rsync scripts running on each node would be an
> option here, but I was hoping to not have to roll my own solution for
> this.  Also, of course, if I'm mistaken about either DRBD or Gluster's
> capabilities, please feel free to correct.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DR

Mr. Flibble
King of the Potato People