[svlug] Who is your *nix mentor?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 7 12:09:17 PDT 2017

Quoting Kevin Dankwardt (kevin.dankwardt at gmail.com):

> One of the goals of LUGs is to provide a place for people to meet in
> person and chat about all things Linux. Can we make the SVLUG meetings
> better for this?

Much, much earlier in the history of SVLUG, it was for a long time a
tradition to have a member-interaction segment before the main speaker (I
want to say, maybe no more than 15 min?) during which people in the
audience were welcome to rise and seek the advice of the group, and
other people could rise (one at a time) to answer.

Back in the dawn of microcomputers, in the 1970s and for a while
after that, we of the Homebrew Computer Club also had that tradition:
It was called the 'random access' segment.

Whoever emcees an SVLUG meeting can of course try to do this again, but
I'd advise standing ready to tell particular people:  please wrap it up
/ get to the point, please / is there a question? / take the
speech-making elsewhere / not noticeably relevant to SVLUG but thank
you, next? / I'm sorry but we don't have time for your entire set of
fifteen questions and need to move on.

Suspect that what happened to SVLUG's random-access segment, in part,
is that people found it convenient to take that to the post-dinner
restaurant gatherings.