[svlug] Who is your *nix mentor?

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Tue Jun 6 13:39:39 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 07:56:56PM +0000, Robert Freiberger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been pretty much a lone wolf in the world of my career. While I have
> friends in the same field, I never had someone who was really senior to
> myself that was a good person to try out ideas or suggestions. This wasn't
> much of a problem before as the Internet started to bring solutions to all
> of my questions, then Reddit and this mailing list, assisted in the other
> 50% of my knowledge gaps.
>
> But in the last year, I found myself starting to get stuck on more
> difficult issues, career questions and general encouragement to keep up the
> drive. Things which I don't think you can get from the disconnected distro
> list, or posting. Not to stay I'm looking for someone to do my work but
> it's more about suggestions and insight to my ideas.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has faced this issue in their journey with open
> source and Linux? What tricks or suggestions would you pass down? Apologies
> if this is off topic for the group and if so, please email me directly to
> keep the mailing list clean.

LOPSA - the League of Professional Systems Administrators - has
an official mentorship program.

Participation in several user groups and technical mailing lists
has given me a number of acquaintances who are willing to go
in-depth on particular problems, when they feel competent and
have the time.

reddit.com/r/sysadmin and /r/linux are pretty welcoming of both
general and specific questions. I rather like /r/ZFS, but that's
not a problem everyone has.

-dsr-