[svlug] Judge won't dismiss alleged GPL violation: Why this matters

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Mon Jun 5 08:33:44 PDT 2017

Yeah, my thanks as well.

Even at this very preliminary stage, the judge's decision was interesting.  GPL is an enforceable
contract, even if both parties didn't sign it.  You have to follow the licensing conditions.
Copyright law does not preempt the license requirements.

One interesting issue is where the copyright infringement occurred.  If a Korean company downloads
GPL software from a US server, where did the copying take place?  In Korea or the US?