[svlug] Building simple web based sysadmin tools

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Wed Jul 19 19:31:49 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 01:36:14AM +0200, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> Using flask may be overkill but it will avoid all the common security
> mistakes you could make building things from scratch  for the 2 or 3
> things you'll anyway need.
>
> Recently I've been asking if there was any other alternative to consider
> for "scripting language" substitute, especially because I had a vague
> interest in more serious multithread support and people came up with
> rust and go.
>
> They both seemed reasonable choices, they have good and abundant
> libraries and I had a slight preference for rust.
>
> Still they were completely new language for me and they didn't pay the
> bill for my modest interest in multithreading.
>
> I think perl is too ambiguous (someone call it more "expressive") to
> write more than 30 lines of code.
>
> What I think is left to consider are ruby and python. I'm more fluent in
> python, if I were more fluent in ruby I would chose it without getting
> into a feud.
>
> I've used flask for small tools. Give a look to bottle if you're looking
> for something really minimal.

Hi Ivan and Robert,

Have you checked out Jupyter notebooks?
http://jupyter.org

This media is great because you don't have to put up a web service nor deal
with all the security issues. You can publish them privately behind a firewall
or publically for anyone to view and interact with.

https://nbviewer.jupyter.org

nbviewer for publically accessible notebooks. Free. Hosted by Rackspace. Or
you run your own either privately or publically.

In any event and independent of Jupyter notebooks, Python is the way to go in
my mind. Any new code ought to be in python3.

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 The subconscious mind is driven by your deeply
Neuralscape Services           held beliefs -- not your deeply held desires.