[svlug] Building simple web based sysadmin tools

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jul 19 19:04:17 PDT 2017

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 01:36:14 +0200
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:

> > Very welcome to suggestions and ideas. I'm pretty sure I could make
> > something in Python and Flask but since the requirements are so
> > simple, this might be overkill for the task.
>
> I've used flask for small tools. Give a look to bottle if you're
> looking for something really minimal.

I'm looking for a quickie way to write simple web apps. From context, I
get the idea that you like Flask. Is that true?

Have you ever used Bottle, and if so, how did you like it?

I noticed you didn't mention Django. Is that because it's overkill for
a quick web app?

Troubleshooters.Com is on one of those shared hosting things, and I
doubt either flask or bottle is installed on their server. Is there a
way I can install either one as my own user? I have ssh and sftp rights
to my home directory and web directories.

By the way, I like Python, so Flask and bottle wouldn't force me to use
a language I don't like.

Thanks. This morning I was contemplating using Django for my Symptom
Desription Wizard, and just couldn't get excited about such a bunch of
scaffolding.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2017 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz