[svlug] router DIY

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sat Jan 14 08:10:18 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 05:56:55PM +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> that was 2014, but still costs add up pretty quickly.
>
> A modern router with 802.11ac with dual core 800-1000MHz CPU costs
> around $120 and still it can't NAT 1Gbit at full speed without hardware
> natting.
>
> I don't know what is the state of affairs of NAT acceleration in Linux
> but digesting 1Gbit still doesn't look to be easy nor cheap if I want
> control.
>
> Cheap is a requirement since my home router is a SPOF so I tend to have
> spare routers around.
> I've to decide if Ubiquiti could be a reasonable compromise.
> https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/ is $99 without wifi.
> But Ubiquiti is not Debian and it seems that getting Unbound on an
> EdgeRouter is a PITA and bind could be too resource hungry.

Ubiquiti is still violating the GPL, too.

Or, as a practical concern: they don't ship you enough to
rebuild the OS yourself.

> I could keep a poor man OpenWRT router around and build up a 1Gbit
> capable home made router, but right now it looks it's going to cost way
> more than $250.

Coincidentally I revisited this yesterday:
https://randomstring.org/blog/blog/2017/01/13/revisiting-a-new-firewall/

TL;DR: It's still happy three years later; you can probably
build a similar one on new components for $250.

Can you get a gigabit/second of NAT? Very likely, but I haven't
tested it.

-dsr-