[svlug] router DIY

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Jan 13 08:56:55 PST 2017

On 01/13/2017 04:22 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:

> That's why I built my own router, running x86_64 Debian.
>
> https://randomstring.org/blog/blog/2014/11/09/a-new-firewall/
> describes the hardware. It happily runs DNS, DHCP, a VPN
> service, and of course firewalling and routing. Best of all, it
> gets upgrades just as regularly as any other Debian box.

that was 2014, but still costs add up pretty quickly.

A modern router with 802.11ac with dual core 800-1000MHz CPU costs
around $120 and still it can't NAT 1Gbit at full speed without hardware
natting.

I don't know what is the state of affairs of NAT acceleration in Linux
but digesting 1Gbit still doesn't look to be easy nor cheap if I want
control.

Cheap is a requirement since my home router is a SPOF so I tend to have
spare routers around.
I've to decide if Ubiquiti could be a reasonable compromise.
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/ is $99 without wifi.
But Ubiquiti is not Debian and it seems that getting Unbound on an
EdgeRouter is a PITA and bind could be too resource hungry.

It doesn't look OpenWRT is going to support hardware flow acceleration
any time soon. I've developed a probably irrational discomfort with
dd-wrt that seems to be supported by eg. netgear and that could probably
support NAT acceleration.

I could keep a poor man OpenWRT router around and build up a 1Gbit
capable home made router, but right now it looks it's going to cost way
more than $250.

We will see.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo