[svlug] VOID Linux install, no DVD...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 21 05:20:55 PST 2016

Correcting, in case anyone was relying on the niggly details:

> You really did not bother to read the installation requirements, did you?
> http://www.voidlinux.eu/download/#download-installable-base-live-images-x86
>
>   The i686 images have these requirements:
>
>   Pentium 4 CPU (SSE2), 96MB RAM, 350MB disk, Ethernet / WiFi for network
>   installation.
>
> Obviously, your PIII cannot support i686 CPU instruction extensions,
                                      ^^^^
> hence you cannot run the VOID Linux IA32 version's installer.

Should be P4.

'i686' usually denotes IA32 P6 processory architecture: Pentium Pro,
Pentium II, Pentium II Celeron, Pentium M, Pentium III, and later Intel
processors, and third-party compatibles such as AMD K6 / Athlon / T-Bird
/ T-Bred / Duron.

The indented text clarifies that VOID Linux IA32 is compiled with CPU
optimisations for the Intel SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions v.2) CPU
instruction sets first introduced by Intel with the initial version of
the Pentium 4 in 2001 -- obsoleting MMX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

_That_ is the part that makes VOID Linux IA32 no-go on your PIII (which
if course _is_ by definition an i686 beast).

For anyone who seriously needs to track and use this otherwise utterly
obsolete data (I don't), please note that DistroWatch keeps pretty
careful track of distros' CPU optimisations, and DistroWatch's Search
page (http://distrowatch.com/search.php) includes checkboxes for
'Architecture'.  E.g., if you check i386, i486, i586, and i686 under
Architecture on that page, select 'Linux" under Operating System Type,
and then select Submit Query, you get a list of 173 qualifying Linux
distributions.

DistroWatch's information on CPU optimisations is good but imperfect,
e.g., its records about VOID Linux say 'i686', which as noted is correct
but incomplete as it's compiled to require the SSE2 extensions
introduced with the Intel P4.