[svlug] VOID Linux install, no DVD...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Mar 18 15:58:22 PST 2016

I want to install VOID Linux on an old Pentium III.  It has USB1.1, but
it can't boot from USB devices.  I have a USB external DVD burner, and
there is an SSD with 80 gigs of free space that is not partitioned.
 The machine has a CD rewriter, an external Jazz 1GB drive, an internal
atapi zip100 drive, and the SATA III SSD on a SATA I pci card.

I have discovered that VOID has libreoffice, yes.  I wish the package
manager was more subtle, I've pulled in a lot of things like gstreamer
that aren't needed for word processing per se.  Openldap got pulled in,
I don't know much about LDAP and haven't implemented it on my network.

Couple of things, I would like to have a local cached copy of the VOID
repositories so that I can run VOID on more than one system without
having them all go out to the Internet.  I need VOID to do a graphical
boot, I'm asking a Windows user to use it.  I could use a good runinit
tutorial badly.  I need to set up network UPS tools in client mode.
What do I need to install to run lxde manually, lxde is apparently
installed already.  I'm playing with VOID in virtualbox right now.
So far, it seems like a Linux distribution best aimed at advanced
users.  I'm hoping that VOID is a better choice on old computers than
say Fedora or Slackware.