[svlug] Samba4 and Windows 9x...

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Sun Mar 13 11:51:39 PST 2016

On 03/12/2016 02:14 PM, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> I've upgraded to Slackware 14.1 running xfce on my dad's old K2-6 500
> with 768 megs of ram.  Found out how to get Samba 4 to Speak lanman
> and have successfully created one network file share that is Windows
> 98SE compatible.
>
> I have yet to set up automount for the 3 optical drives, zip drive,
> and bernoulli drive on the Linux box, I don't remember how to do that.
> The benoulli multidisk 150 doesn't work on Windows 98SE.  I can use
> Samba to get around that issue and have in the past.
>
> Speaking of compatability issues, the old HP Deskjet 9800 doesn't work
> on Windows 9x either.  Can I export via Samba to get around that or am
> I hosed without a Windows 9x driver for it?  I have the printer, a usb
> printer, working via CUPS.  Not sure what smb.conf is supposed to look
> like when cups is in use.  Swat was done away with and it is much
> harder in my opinion to set Samba up.
>
> If the printer will never even with Samba work with Windows 9x, I need
> to install Libreoffice on the Slackware based server or do a dual boot
> on my Dad's coppermine PIII with Windows 98se and install Void Linux
> possibly.
>
> I'm using a 120 gig SSD with two 20 gig partitions on it so far on a
> coppermine PIII system. Having some problems with write errors in
> Windows 98se any time I try to create a new profile(user).  The card
> I'm plugging into is a Fast TX2000 PCI PATA raid card.  Seems to be
> more trouble than it's worth.  Maybe I should use a SATA I PCI card
> instead instead of a SATA to PATA adapter and a PATA raid card.  I
> am not certain if a SATA I card will work with Windows 98SE.
>
> In summary, I'm having SSD reliability issues on a PIII running
> Windows 98SE.  I'm using a SATA to PATA adapter and a FAST TX2000
> PCI PATA raid adapter.  Thinking I should eliminate the raid card
> and try a PCI to SATA I card instead, if Windows 98SE can handle
> that.  I have an HP 9800 usb printer that is NOT Windows 98SE
> compatible, no driver.  Thinking I can use Samba on Slackware to
> get around that issue, but I could be wrong.  I have the printer
> printing test pages now via CUPS on the Slackware box.  I have
> successfully in the past used Samba to make a bernoulli multidisk
> 150 work with Windows 98SE over an isolated network.  I have
> forgotten how to do automounting of optical drives and a zip
> atapi drive in Linux and export these drives via Samba.  Finally,
> I need to decide whether to install Libreoffice to Void Linux on
> the PIII or make Libreoffice available on the server.  This assumes
> that Windows 98SE cannot print to the printer even with Samba tricks.

As you said, "Seems to be more trouble than it's worth."

Do you really believe that anyone on this list can give you specific
advice about processors, operating systems, or disk hardware which are
20 years obsolete?

Hooking an SSD to a PIII is a lot like putting Pirelli tires on a Yugo.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077