[svlug] Guess who has a Linux port of its SQL database?

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 16:20:12 PST 2016

On 3/10/16 4:11 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 10:38:37 -0800
> Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>

>> (Disclaimer:  This is a stereotype in broad strokes.  No, it's not
>> universally true, so please spare the Edge-Case Theatre.  Danke.)
>>
>> If your ANSI standard San Franciscans were told about an exciting
>> Linux event in the South Bay, the spinal-reflex reaction was always
>> 'Wait, San Jose?  Isn't that somewhere south of Army Street?  Nobody
>> goes there.'
> An anecdote this reminds me of for oddball reasons.
>
> 1984. I'd lived in LA (Venice Beach) for 4 years, and was taking
> programming classes at Santa Monica Community College for twenty bucks
> a class. I was very, very single.
>
> By 1984 I was one of the "go to" people in the computer lab. This cute
> brunette woman, about 20 years old, asks me for help, so I help her.
> It's clear she hasn't got a clue. I'm sitting there typing in code for
> her, and she starts a conversation, mentioning that she's from San
> Francisco and likes it better than LA. I asked her why and she said "San
> Francisco people are so much more cerebral than LA people." I continue
> coding her homework assignment.

Yeah, it's all that reading stuff we do.

Let me ask you a question, this cute girl, did she continue to talk to
you after you finished helping her. If your experience was anything like
mine in the computer lab the answer is no.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |  Another day closer  |
jgrosch at gmail.com  |  to Redwood Heaven   |  Berkeley, Ca.