[svlug] Guess who has a Linux port of its SQL database?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Mar 10 16:11:34 PST 2016

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 10:38:37 -0800

> (Disclaimer:  This is a stereotype in broad strokes.  No, it's not
> universally true, so please spare the Edge-Case Theatre.  Danke.)
>
> If your ANSI standard San Franciscans were told about an exciting
> Linux event in the South Bay, the spinal-reflex reaction was always
> 'Wait, San Jose?  Isn't that somewhere south of Army Street?  Nobody
> goes there.'

An anecdote this reminds me of for oddball reasons.

1984. I'd lived in LA (Venice Beach) for 4 years, and was taking
programming classes at Santa Monica Community College for twenty bucks
a class. I was very, very single.

By 1984 I was one of the "go to" people in the computer lab. This cute
brunette woman, about 20 years old, asks me for help, so I help her.
It's clear she hasn't got a clue. I'm sitting there typing in code for
her, and she starts a conversation, mentioning that she's from San
Francisco and likes it better than LA. I asked her why and she said "San
Francisco people are so much more cerebral than LA people." I continue
coding her homework assignment.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz