[svlug] Guess who has a Linux port of its SQL database?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Mar 9 17:21:33 PST 2016

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 16:24:14 -0800

> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):
>
> > I don't know, but isn't he the same guy who wanted to "open source"
> > peoples' private medical records?
>
> It's a pity you weren't geographically situated to hear Yudhvir give
> his excellent talk about supporting medical clinics using open source
> in Kenya.  His ideas about how it would be a good idea to make further
> gains using the principles of open source / open data elsewhere in
> medicine, to the great benefit of both medicine and medical research,
> were not entirely well worked out, but I think he was treated badly
> here, and (figuratively) yelled at and pinned up against the wall with
> 'You want to force people's detailed, private medical information into
> public view!' without even the _tiniest_ effort to help him refine
> what he had in mind to avert exactly those problems.

The preceding is a 100% accurate description of my reaction. If he
wanted to ask "How can I violate HIPPA and compromise peoples' ability
to get insurance and keep their jobs", at least it would have been
honest. But to characterize it as "how can I **open source** peoples'
health status measurements?" was beyond despicable.

Anyway, I should have stayed out of this particular thread:
I /dev/nulled him years ago, so this was none of my business.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz