[svlug] Guess who has a Linux port of its SQL database?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 9 16:24:14 PST 2016

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> I don't know, but isn't he the same guy who wanted to "open source"
> peoples' private medical records?

It's a pity you weren't geographically situated to hear Yudhvir give his
excellent talk about supporting medical clinics using open source in
Kenya.  His ideas about how it would be a good idea to make further
gains using the principles of open source / open data elsewhere in
medicine, to the great benefit of both medicine and medical research,
were not entirely well worked out, but I think he was treated badly
here, and (figuratively) yelled at and pinned up against the wall with
'You want to force people's detailed, private medical information into
public view!' without even the _tiniest_ effort to help him refine what
he had in mind to avert exactly those problems.  (Additionally, Yudhvir
certainly did NOT, IIRC, state that he wished to force other people's
detailed personal medical records into public view without their
consent.)

I found the spectacle irritating, I was annoyed at the other
participants, I thought they behaved like total wankers, and I was a bit
ashamed to be associated with SVLUG at that moment, to be perfectly honest.

Yudhvir was also quite heroically SVLUG's long-term Speaker Coodinator,
which puts him in my eyes higher by a couple of orders of magnitude in
scale-of-respect, so there's that.  And made his disrespectful treatment
all the worse.

Anyone else want to give my friend Yudhvir a hard time, come over to my
house and I'll breathe on you, and give you the flu, with which I am
currently quite well supplied.

(Now, please excuse me.  My house's water heater detected that everyone
at my house is flu-bound, and therefore its 'explode and leak all over
everything' alarm went off.  If anyone desperately wants to get
flu-infected, try the Redwood City OSH in about an hour.  I can try to
shoehorn you into my schedule.)