[svlug] VOID Linux, how to install???

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Mar 9 16:03:41 PST 2016

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 22:35:48 +0000
Ehud Kaldor <ehud.kaldor at gmail.com> wrote:

> you mean this?
> http://www.voidlinux.eu/download/
>

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 2:15 PM Michael C. Robinson
> <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
>
> > Google has found a home page for VOID Linux, but all I can find are
> > live images and not the installer :-(  Linux enthusiasts, please
> > help!

For i686 and X64 Void, the installer, which is called "void-installer",
is contained in the live image. Just run it as root, answer the
questions, and install Void. It's a real shame that the name of the
installer is such a well kept secret. Void is wonderful, but most of
its documentation sux.

AFAIK, if you're installing the ARM version, there's no installer: You
must do a step by step chroot install, whose instructions are all over
the net and vary significantly.

In the last month or two I shoehorned Void onto a box with 128MB RAM. I
did this as follows:

* Run the no-X live CD
* Run void-installer
	* Choose Internet as software source
		* Unless you have a Wifi that won't work
* After installation, reboot without install media
* As root, xbps-install -Su
	* The preceding updates sources and upgrades software.
		* Do once a day
* xbps-install xorg
	* To install X
	* You might need to SUID one of those X wrappers
		* If X runs as root but not normal user
* xbps-install <chosen-window-manager>
* Tweak ~/.xinitrc to run the window manager's session executable
* startx

I know this is conceited to say, but I personally think the best Void
Linux documentation is at
http://troubleshooters.com/linux/void/voidtips.htm

I've used Void to run my business for about 4 months now, and I'm so in
love with it my wife is jealous. If you like DIY Linux but don't want
to spend the time of Linux From Scratch or a compilation-install
distro, Void is the best.

It uses Runit for its init system, which in my opinion is miles better
than sysvinit and even more superior to systemd.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz