[svlug] Guess who has a Linux port of its SQL database?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 7 18:52:56 PST 2016

Quoting Alan Denney (yosemite at programmer.net):

> >The 'we have no Linux version' charade collapsed _so_ quickly (about 2-3
> >months) that it made clear that every single one of these firms had been
> >maintaining an active Linux port for years, and been lying through their
> teeth.
>
> In the case of Informix, that's not true.  Although some of us had lobbied
> for (and dabbled with) a Linux port on our own, by the mid-1990s, ports for
> x86 platforms (SCO, AT&T System V/386, Unixware, Solaris on Intel) had been
> offshored, so recent platform-specific expertise was not in house (on this
> side of the planet, anyway).
>
> I tried to get them to have a presence at obvious events like the PC UNIX
> SIG, but all resources were marketing-controlled.

Alan, thank you for the inside word -- and welcome back.

BTW, I'm going to send a Mailman 'invite' to the non-subscribed address
you posted from.  I recommend you accept the invitation and set that
subscription to have the 'nomail' flag set.  Then, you will be able to
post from that address without it being held in the admin queue.

(Mail from non-subscribed addresses doesn't always get noticed in the
admin queue - and is always at least delayed.)