[svlug] Guess who has a Linux port of its SQL database?

Alan Denney yosemite at programmer.net
Mon Mar 7 17:50:41 PST 2016

>The 'we have no Linux version' charade collapsed _so_ quickly (about 2-3
>months) that it made clear that every single one of these firms had been
>maintaining an active Linux port for years, and been lying through their
teeth.

In the case of Informix, that's not true.  Although some of us had lobbied
for (and dabbled with) a Linux port on our own, by the mid-1990s, ports for
x86 platforms (SCO, AT&T System V/386, Unixware, Solaris on Intel) had been
offshored, so recent platform-specific expertise was not in house (on this
side of the planet, anyway).

I tried to get them to have a presence at obvious events like the PC UNIX
SIG, but all resources were marketing-controlled.