[svlug] requesting recommendations for monochrome duplex wired network laser printer

Joel - DSLExtreme jseidman at dslextreme.com
Fri Jun 3 23:31:01 PDT 2016

Darlene,
On Friday, June 03, 2016 21:05:04 Michael Eager wrote:
> On 06/03/2016 06:44 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> > Michael,
> >

> >> In your DHCP server (often a router) set the options to always assign the
> >> same IP address to the printer.
> >
> > I do not have a router though I do use a hub. DSL Extreme is my ISP.
>
> Something is responding to DHCP requests, most likely the DSL modem.  There
> should be similar configuration options.

Possibly the modem is a combined modem/router. But you may have DHCP service
from the ISP. I have that type of service from DSLExtreme. They provide me up
to 5 addresses. If you are connecting only through a hub, which is possible,
then you could be putting your printer directly on the public Internet.
Besides making it difficult to access your own printer, it could allow strangers
to access it as well. I will resist the urge to repeat the scary stories I've
heard about security flaws in printer firmware. If you don't have a private
network, I strongly urge you find a router to use for your own devices. I've
found adequate ones offered for free on the local freecycle list, and for a few
dollars at the flea market.