[svlug] requesting recommendations for monochrome duplex wired network laser printer

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Fri Jun 3 21:05:04 PDT 2016

On 06/03/2016 06:44 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Thank you so very much for getting back to me!
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Michael Eager <eager at eagercon.com> wrote:
>> On 06/03/2016 02:23 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My name is Darlene Wallach.
>>>
>>> My laser printer is losing functionality - esp frustrating is the
>>> one-line display is now in a foreign language and I can't figure out
>>> how to change it to English. Since I have dhcp I don't know how I will
>>> know the new IP address if/when the dhcp license is renewed...
>>

>> In your DHCP server (often a router) set the options to always assign the
>> same IP address to the printer.
>
> I do not have a router though I do use a hub. DSL Extreme is my ISP.

Something is responding to DHCP requests, most likely the DSL modem.  There
should be similar configuration options.

>> The menu items are in the same order, no matter what the language.
>> Find the manual for your printer, follow the instructions to get to
>> setting, select your preferred language.
>
> Someone generously gave me the printer a number of years ago - I don't
> have the manual. I'm not finding a pdf of the users manual, C2039A,
> online.

Bummer.

>> (I'll avoid the snarky comment that understanding more languages
>> than English makes you a better person.)

 >I fully and whole-heartedly agree! I don't know what language is on the display, "klar" is that
Danish? Swedish? It doesn't look like German.

Klar is German for Clear, although that seems like an odd message
unless followed by another word indicating what needs to be cleared.

Might also be Dutch or Danish, but German is most likely.  If you
can get to setting (maybe "Einstellung") you can select language
under "Sprache".

>> I go through upgrade hell whenever I move to a new Fedora version.
>
> I do clean installs.
>
>> There are a ton of differences between Fedora 13 and Fedora 23 (or are
>> we at 24 now?).  I recommend that you save everything in your home
>> directory, do a clean install in a new partition with an new home
>> directory, then migrate pieces over as you install various components.
>> You might also save /etc, since that has various configurations.
>
> Thank you.
>

>> Someone else might have a less dramatic process.
>
> Your process doesn't sound dramatic at all.

It just requires me to re-install and re-configure a bunch of different
components.  One of the most tedious is configuring KDE, especially when
the theme I was used to disappears, or it is "upgraded" into something
I dislike and I have to spend time trying to re-jigger it into less bad.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077