[svlug] requesting recommendations for monochrome duplex wired network laser printer

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Fri Jun 3 16:48:53 PDT 2016

On 06/03/2016 02:23 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Darlene Wallach.
>
> My laser printer is losing functionality - esp frustrating is the
> one-line display is now in a foreign language and I can't figure out
> how to change it to English. Since I have dhcp I don't know how I will
> know the new IP address if/when the dhcp license is renewed...

In your DHCP server (often a router) set the options to always assign the
same IP address to the printer.

The menu items are in the same order, no matter what the language.
Find the manual for your printer, follow the instructions to get to
setting, select your preferred language.

(I'll avoid the snarky comment that understanding more languages
than English makes you a better person.)

> So, I need to purchase a monochrome duplex wired network laser printer
> and am asking for recommendations. At this point in time, for personal
> reasons I am not looking to buy an HP printer.
>
> Are there decent quality monochrome duplex wired network laser
> printers for less than $100 or at least around $100?
>
> I have duckduckgo'd for "laser printer brother" and see refurbished
> printers - would you recommend a refurbished printer?

I have a Brother duplex color laser printer.  I don't know the pricing on
B/W units.  If it is factory refurbished, it is probably going to
be OK.  Refurbishing will likely involve replacing one of the components
(drun, toner) that was defective when shipped.  Or maybe just repacking
the unit in a new box.

> I use Fedora and seriously need to install a current distribution as I
> have Fedora 13. I keep getting stalled by trying to remember what I
> need to save off and back up onto a backup drive before installing a
> new Fedora in addition to taking the time to download a new Fedora and
> creating a DVD.

I go through upgrade hell whenever I move to a new Fedora version.
There are a ton of differences between Fedora 13 and Fedora 23 (or are
we at 24 now?).  I recommend that you save everything in your home
directory, do a clean install in a new partition with an new home
directory, then migrate pieces over as you install various components.
You might also save /etc, since that has various configurations.

Someone else might have a less dramatic process.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077