[svlug] More links about ssds

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Jun 2 16:57:30 PDT 2016

On 06/02/2016 10:16 PM, Sarah Newman wrote:

> The most recent paper I could find about SSD failure patterns is
> https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~omutlu/pub/flash-memory-failures-in-the-field-at-facebook_sigmetrics15.pdf I haven't had a chance to digest it but looks
> like they have found that the SSD failure pattern does not resemble the hard drive failure pattern at all.

"At least there is a pattern" said the Schrödinger cat.

My feeling is that the underlying technology has still a lot of changes
ahead and so patterns are going to change.
They are pretty inhomogeneous across the different considered "platform".
This study is dated June 2015 and it examines SSD that may date back to
2011 or earlier.

And if, as Karen says, most failures are related to "generic integrated
circuit failure mode" not only there will be a change in pattern at each
solid state technology improvement but at each improvement in
industrialization process that will follow.

Most popular bus and form factor for SSD is going to change as well.

I wonder where people are going to save terabytes of pictures, music,
movies in the near future.
If NAS/media center get more popular, PCs won't need a large storage and
having a PCIe SSD will make more sense than having an HD like SSD.
Furthermore people are spending more and more time on mobile devices
that are getting more capable an need more space pushing further
research for denser flash.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it