[svlug] Slides from the GoLUG meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 2 15:36:30 PDT 2016

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> Viewing the preceding URL brought an instant wave of nostalgia:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/19991012082601/http://leap-cf.org/
>
> Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I strongly suspect that the SVLUG Web Team and the LEAP WebTeam were at
that time exactly the same people, hence the use of the same template
for both sites, by those people.

SVLUG's Web Team were at that time (late 1990s) two VA Linux Systems
employees and one outsider.  I note that LEAP's site carried the exact
same prominent VA Linux Systems logo credit as SVLUG's did, in exactly
the same location and with the same pixel sizing.

So, almost certainly not imitation but rather identical origin, via the
same designer reusing the same design at the same desks -- and possibly
even ssh'ing into the same machine for both, for all I know.

The SVLUG site in question got created by VA Linux System's webmasters
(plus one non-employee) in 1997 on a machine in the VA Linux Systems
colo racks (when the firm was still called VA Research Corporation),
replacing two earlier, simple pages that founding President Dan Kionka
had made elsewhere.  Mid-1997 was, to clarify, also when the group was
renamed to 'SVLUG' (previously Silicon Valley Computer Society Linux
SIG, and before that SVCS PC Unix SIG).