[svlug] SSD lifetime

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Jun 2 13:06:44 PDT 2016

Hi all,

For my use case, there's not a big benefit in disks lasting more than 4
years. Here's why...

We technologists have been honed by evolution to use brand new disks
when we build a new computer. Experiences with IBM Deathstar , Seagate,
and to a lesser extent the rest of the hard drives have shown us we're
darn lucky to get 4 years. For me, between 3 and 4 years is the time a
computer remains my Daily Driver Desktop (DDD). So far, beyond 4 years
would have meant paying a big performance and capability penalty for
keeping on using the same old DDD.

Except for the occasional data-only drive that gets moved to the next
DDD, my new DDD is equiped with newer, bigger, more capable disks. The
removed disks go in firewalls and experimental computers and the like,
and with the advent of Qemu, experimental computers are getting less
necessary. Fact is, I'm accumulating disks faster than I can wear them
out.

I'll probably replace my current DDD when it's reasonably cheap to
install 64GB RAM, and UEFI works well and consistently and doesn't risk
bricking the box, and when even backwater Linuxes have solved the
Secure Boot problem.

At that time, my new / will probably be a 2GB SSD :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21